This mural design was inspired by reading Elsie Turnbull's Topping's Trail, and The Rossland Centennial Photo Album 1897-1997 compiled by J. D. McDonald. Both books are available from public libraries and respective Historical Societies and Museums.
When the Wild Horse Creek goldrush was well under way in the East Kootenay Region of British Columbia. The Federal Government of Canada was concerned that American traders would flood into the area taking business that could enhance commerce in Victoria and Vancouver. Edgar Dewdney was commissioned to build a trail from Rock Creek in Western BC to Fort Steel in Eastern BC. This trail passed south of present day Rossland after coming from the west through a pass in the south, then followed the stream giving it's name to Trail Creek. The gold rush at Wild Horse Creek dried up just after the 'trail' was completed, and was for the next twenty years used only by prospectors. Two such prospectors - 'The Two Joe's' would discover Gold Gold on Red Mountain in Rossland in July, 1890. Heinze got to hear of the Rossland Gold find, came up to Trail Creek and saw the potential for riches opting to build a smelter at Trail creek. - History was made.
Builder of the Dewdney Trail which passed through a pass south of Rossland following a stream down to the Columbia River, thus giving the area the name of Trail Creek, later Trail Creek Landing where Trail is now. Mr Dewdney returned to Rossland in 1896 as the Lieutenant Governor of the Province of British Columbia, having had a very illustious career in Provincial and Federal politics
On March 2, 1897 the City of Rossland was incorporated, and Ross Thompson became an Alderman on the first council.
Other notables - not in drawing - Ex Lt. Gov Macintosh, resident director B. A. Corporation. J. B. MCArthur, Q.C President Rossland Board of Trade. John McKane, Secretary, Rossland Board of Trade. W.A. Carlyle, Chief Superintendent, B. A. Corporation Oliver Durant, Manager, Centre Star Mine.
In 1934 moved to Ottawa to take up the position of Economist to the Tariff Board and the Dominion Trade and Industry Commission From the outbreak of war in 1939 until the end of the war in 1945, she was appointed The Administrator of the Wartime Prices and Trade Board.
After the war Phyllis met and married the Industrialist Frank Ross, and became the First Lady of B.C when Frank Ross who from 1955 to 1960 served as the Lieutenant Governor. Phyllis had the great distinction of being the first female to be elected The Chancellor of the, University of her Alma Mater, in 1961, and 1963.
As first lady Phyllis made an official visit to Rossland in 1958, and continued to support Rossland becoming the Honourary Chairperson of the Rossland Historical Museum Association, not only visiting to turn the first sod for the Rossland Historical Museum building, but also returning in 1967 to preside over the opening ceremonies of the new museum building which was Rossland's Canadian Confederation Centennial Project.
Elected as a Federal Liberal Member of Parliament, represented St. Lawrence-St. George, Montreal 1962-68; Ottawa-Carleton, Ont, 1968-75; |Vancouver-Quadra 1984. Served as Minister of Consumer and Corporate Affairs in 1967-68, Solicitor General in 1968, moving to The position of Minister of Justice from 1968 - 1972, then as Minister of Finance 1972 - 75.
In 1984 He became Canada's seventeenth Prime-Minister, in office for 80 days, shortest period for 20th Century PM.
In 1967 Alderman Wilf Woodhouse, Jack MCDonald , Alice Martin, Stan Hewgill, Army Harltey, Bill Dobbs, Jack Fisher and Mayor Harry Lefevre, formed the Official Centennial Project Committee and was first out of the starting block to apply for a Centennial Grant which provided the financial foundation to build The Rossland Centennial Museum which we enjoy today - The dedicated members of the Rossland Historical Society have kept history alive producing an excellent collection of books which are available from the Rossland Museum, which is a must see when visiting Rossland. Although many of the original buildings burnt down in past years, Rossland still has some well preserved heritage buildings. Recently the Fire Hall has been turned into a Centre for the Arts, the original Miner's Hall is a venue for performances, and Rossland is the home of The Light Opera Company, Orchestra and talented drama and dance groups. For more information on Cultural and Outdoor activities visit the City of Rossland website.